Meet Head of Development Matt Leach - 3 time best man, undefeated amateur boxer and a man of mystery. He likes cheese and biscuits, but never together.
What excites you most about your industry?
It changes, specifically in the digital spectrum! I come from a background of developing education resources, which as an industry hasn’t moved forward since chalkboards and paperclips. Advertising, specifically integrated, is so fast and dynamic and every day there’s something new.
What was your first job?
Shovelling horse manure, delivering papers, washing pots. I started working when I was 13 which probably explains where all my hair went.
Do you think technology improves or interrupts our lives?
100% improves. I know I’m probably biased, but we are living in the best age of our time. Medicine, science and society has improved to the point where we have modern miracles happening around us every day. I can talk to a badger living on the other side of the world via video call. That’s amazing.
Numbers or letters?
Numbers. There’s more of them and they aren’t open for debate.
What’s your advice for people getting into our industry?
Have a personality and don’t be an a**hole. There are only so many desks in a good agency. Be grateful you get the opportunity then exceed every expectation.
What do you like to do when you’re not working?
Exercising, DIY, video games, eating, sleeping. The occasional shower.
What is your philosophy at work?
Work every day as if it’s your first.
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
My alarm clock/wife. She loves our pet names.
What’s your favourite film of all time and why?
The Highlander (first one only), and here is why:
- The 1986 “A kind of magic” album was written for the film specifically.
- It’s paced like every film should be. A fantastic origin story with a great central narrative and a recap at the end for anyone that missed anything.
- Interesting fact: Christopher Lambert was credited with the distant look and gaze of a man lost out of time. He was actually blind for most of the filming, didn’t speak English and still performed all of his own stunts. That’s dedication.
- It’s so 80s.
- Sean Connery after Bond. He’s a Scotsman playing an Egyptian from Spain, set in Scotland?!
- Seriously, Queen. “Who wants to live forever” right?!
- Oh, some heads get removed. All in good taste.
What’s big at the moment in digital?
Virtual Reality is coming and will be everywhere very soon. The day I don’t have to get out of bed to ‘be at work’ is coming. Google Cardboard proves that anything can be technology with the right innovation behind it. The Microsoft HoloLens looks amazing and Apple are staffing up and showing a keen interest too. Facebook are also commercially pushing Oculus out this year. It’s an exciting time for VR and I think everything needs to know about it.
What’s your Thinking Juice?
Chocolate milk. I f**king love it. But if I have to be socially above board/act my age, a cold Peroni, bought by someone else.